Health Services » Q&A


My family no longer has health insurance. I would like to know how my family can obtain health care coverage?

NJ Family Care is affordable health care coverage for uninsured children, couples, and even singles. Family Care is not a welfare program. It is a low cost health care through a variety of recognized maintenance organizations. For more information, please visit or 1-800-701-0710.

When should I keep my child home from school?

Healthy students make better learners: the school nurse recommends that your child should stay home if any of these symptoms exist:
  • Fever 100.0 F or greater
  • Fever within the last 24 hours
  • Frequent, hard coughing
  • Vomiting
  • Unexplained rash
  • Drainage from eyes
When should I return my child to school --- the nurse recommends that you return your child to school when the following occurs:
  • Temperature normal for the past 24 hours without fever reducing medicines
  • Child feels well enough to be in school for a full day
If my child needs to take medication (prescription or non-prescription) during school hours or on field trips, what is the procedure that needs to be followed?
  • Medication must be administered to students in school by the School Nurse.
  • A medication form should be requested from the school nurse. On this form there is a section for a physician's as well as a parents signature. The physician should include diagnosis, dosage, and route of administration.
  • Medication must be brought to the Health Office in the original container.
  • Students who have permission to self administer inhalers or epinephrine must first check with the school nurse for further instructions.
  • Parents are always allowed to come to the Health Office to administer missed doses of medication when necessary.